Monday, September 08, 2008

GREAT NEIGHBORS and Good Party

When you live out in the country, your neighbors may live several miles away, but they're still neighbors. In fact, country folk make some of the best neighbors. They watch your place when you travel, help you fight grass fires, and are always ready to lend a helping hand or a shout of encouragement.

Yesterday, my neighbors gave me a shout of encouragement. Spider and Nadine, Julie and Dave, George and Mary, along with Nadine's Mom, Nelda put together a neighborhood gathering in my honor to celebrate my RITA Award. I don't know what I've done to deserve such a thing, but my heart was really touched. I was a little embarrassed, too, at the attention, but hey! who am I to spoil a terrific gathering of great friends.

We gathered at the old Fry Lake, a former church camp, now turned into a Christian marriage retreat by Dave and Julie. (Check out their website for photos and more information about the retreat.) It's a gorgeous area and I wish I'd taken some photos to share with you, but there are plenty on their website. Be sure and click on the 'more photos' button to see photos of our get-together. (I only wish I'd known there would be pictures--I would have dressed up!!)

Anyway, George and Mary have built a lovely new home, complete with a long back deck overlooking the lake. Talk about paradise in Oklahoma! Beautiful!

We had a delicious meal of Mary's roast beef and all the fixings, plus tasty desserts that included layered chocolate chip cookies that were to die for! I have to get that recipe from Nadine to share with you. Check out Nadine's art website. She's wonderful!!

All in all, it was a great afternoon of fellowship, tall tales, and lots of laughs. I am grateful for the blessing of good neighbors who aren't as backward and shy as I am and who drag me out of my writing cave once in a while!!

Thanks, good neighbors!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Linda -
We too are thankful for incredible neighbors! We enjoyed the get together as well. Your husband keeps us laughing!!! Congratulations again on the RITA Award!

Julie